Pigeons are very friendly birds, whether we see them take flight or come to feed them. A long time ago we used to train them to be carrier pigeons, which means that today they are not afraid of people.
However, times have changed and pigeons are now a nuisance to those who wish to keep their homes and gardens in good condition. Moreover, pigeon droppings are a breeding ground for diseases and pests that we do not want to spread.
If you want to know how to keep pigeons away from your home, we recommend you read on. But as all wars are won by knowing your enemy, you must know all about pigeon behaviour first.
Feral pigeons are the ones that cause most concern to homeowners and business owners, due to the habits of these birds. They tend to roost in large groups on the eaves of roofs and walls of buildings.
Stopping pigeons from feeding is not too difficult, but even many people do it unintentionally when they drop grain and other debris, as well as leaving bins uncovered.
It is common for pigeons to deposit their droppings on pavements, pavements, and buildings. But what many do not know is that their droppings are so corrosive that they deteriorate the surfaces of structures over time.
These birds generate debris, essentially made up of feathers and nesting debris, which gets stuck in ventilation ducts, gutters and pipes, causing blockages of all kinds.
And if that sounds bad enough, pigeons transmit numerous diseases through their faeces. They are responsible for the transmission of vermin such as ticks, lice, mites, bird bugs and many others.
So, all in all, there are many reasons why we should get rid of pigeons.
How to actively get rid of pigeons?
Here are the most effective control methods you can implement to keep pigeons away so that they don’t continue to cause damage wherever they are:
Use ultrasonic repellents
Ultrasonic repellents are available to help you keep pigeons away by emitting sounds and alarm calls typical of predators. They include customization modes to add recordings that sound more natural.
You can find other devices that sound at low frequencies that only pigeons can hear. This sound has to be irritating enough to make the pigeons think your home is a dangerous place and stay away.
Use of birds of prey
The use of birds of prey (as long as you are comfortable keeping them) is incredible, as it is a natural tool that triggers the fight or flight response in pigeons. To achieve this, you must allow your birds to fly in the problem area frequently.
The beauty of this method is that the pigeons quickly understand that the territory belongs to a predator and will take flight and go elsewhere. This is certainly one of the least traumatic ways to get rid of pigeons.
If you can’t keep birds of prey, perhaps the alternative of scarecrow birds might work for you. They are usually in the shape of birds of prey, and you can get one that has a 3D format, with realistic dimensions, that makes different movements and emulates the sound of these birds.
But beyond the fact that the fake bird looks and acts like the real thing, the pigeons may not fall into the trap if you leave it in one place. Move your scarecrow birds between several locations so that you trick the pigeons into thinking it is a real bird.
More invasive procedures
Anti-bird barbs are a group of barbs that are attached and fastened to a surface for preventing pigeons from roosting or nesting in places you wish to keep free of any birds.
Parallel wires are an effective method of preventing pigeons from approaching your roof or other places in your home that are attractive to them. You can do this by installing parallel wires across the structure to deter pigeons from roosting on the structure.
While it is true that bird netting is not very aesthetically pleasing, it is extremely effective in keeping pigeons at bay. This type of netting operates similarly to parallel wires, creating an anti-nesting net.
There are special gels that repel pigeons, as they contain a chemical substance that makes the pigeons’ legs stick together and makes it difficult for them to get free. You can also install other devices such as decoy kites, lasers, shock tapes, among others.
Passive measures to keep pigeons away
We recommend that you apply all these measures with the active methods of pigeon avoidance.
- If you want to keep pigeons away from your home without having to spend a lot of money, look for any object or surface that reflects light, such as CDs, strips of aluminium foil, pieces of mirrors or reflective tape. These birds are sensitive to the reflection of shiny objects.
- Pigeons like water, but not a stream that goes straight at them. If you have a garden, you can use the sprinkler you use every day to water your lawn, or you can invest in one. They are inexpensive and available at any hardware store.
- Eliminate any food sources in your home, whether accidental (litter) or intentional (feeders). Pigeons like grains, berries, earthworms, etc.
- Block off any spaces that make pigeons feel comfortable or shelter from rain and other agents.
- Bird baths are great because they attract different birds but having them is not a good idea if there is a pigeon infestation in your home. Remove these structures, as these birds like bird baths for grooming.
- Any pigeon deterrent is useless if you do not clean the areas where pigeons roost. Use substances such as soap and bleach to clean surfaces, and if possible use a brush for deep cleaning.